Newquay Town Council's Freedom of Information Publication Scheme
The Freedom of Information Act
The Freedom of information Act grants to members of the public rights of access to all kinds of recorded information held by a wide range of public authorities. Information about the Act is available from the Information Commissioner’s Office at www.ico.gov.uk
The Act requires every public authority to adopt and maintain a generic model publication scheme which should be adopted and operated by all public authorities from January 1st 2009. It is intended to provide everyone interested in the council with a comprehensive guide to the information that the council will automatically or routinely publish or otherwise makes available to the public.
Freedom of Information Requests and the publication Scheme
It is important to note that a publication scheme simply sets out the information that is routinely available. Information that is not listed in the Information Available Guide of this document can still be requested and it will be made available unless it can be legitimately withheld. This can be done by making a written request to the Town clerk who will reply within 20 working days after receipt of the request.
The Council’s Commitment to the Act
The council is committed to openness and accountability and already makes large amounts of information available to the public, through its website, via the telephone, by post or by appointment where much of the information can be viewed free of charge. Occasionally it may be necessary to book an appointment.
The Model Publication Scheme
This model publication scheme has been prepared and approved by the Information Commissioner. It may be adopted without modification by any public authority without further approval and will be valid until further notice.
This publication scheme commits an authority to make information available to the public as part of its normal business activities. The information covered is included in the classes of information mentioned below, where this information is held by the authority. Additional assistance is provided to the definition of these classes in sector specific guidance manuals issued by the Information Commissioner.
The scheme commits an authority:
- To proactively publish or otherwise make available as a matter of routine, information, including environmental information, which is held by the authority and falls within the classifications below.
- To specify the information which is held by the authority and falls within the classifications below.
- To proactively publish or otherwise make available as a matter of routine, information in line with the statements contained within the scheme.
- To produce and publish the methods by which the specific information is made routinely available so that it can be easily identified and accessed by members of the public.
- To review and update on a regular basis the information the authority makes available under this scheme.
- To provide a schedule of any fees charged for access to information which is made proactively available.
- To make this publication scheme available to the public
Please read Newquay Town Council's Model Publication Scheme.